BG Strling A.M. Wood



Wood was born on March 17, 1823 in Florence Alabama.  He attended St. Joseph's College and became a lawyer in Tennessee and Alabama.  He also served in the

Alabama Legislature and was the editor of the Florence Gazette.

Wood chose to follow his home state of Alabama and the Confederate cause, and entered the state forces as a captain in the state forces as part of the "Florence Guard" on April 3, 1861.  He was elected colonelof the 7th Alabama Infantry Regiment on May 18, and Wood and his regiment then served in Pensacola, Florida.

Wood was then given brigade command in the Western Theater in October 1861, joining the Army of Central Kentucky. He was promoted to brigadier general on January 7, 1862.  Wood then commanded a brigade in the Army of Mississippi during the Battle of Shiloh in Tennessee on April 6, 1862, and was wounded when his horse dragged him

Wood's most notable Confederate service came on October 8, 1862, when he and his brigade fought at Perryville, Kentucky, in the Battle of Perryville. His brigade was part of Maj. Gen. Simon B. Buckner's division in Maj. Gen. William J. Hardee's II Corps and participated in Buckner's attack on a Union position. The Confederates desired to force the Federals back and cut off their escape route at the Dixville Crossroads, effectively surrounding them.

Union infantry and an artillery battery posted on a hill close to the Benton Road shot up Wood's men and forced them back to fall back. Wood reformed his brigade at the base of the hill and renewed the assault. The Federal guns ran low on ammunition and withdrew, and the Confederate attack pushed the Union infantry back towards the crossroads. After the charge Wood's men withdrew and were replaced by Brig. Gen. St. John Richardson Liddell's reserve brigade. In this fight Wood was wounded in the head and would be out of action until November,[2] by which the Army of Mississippi was now called the Army of Tennessee.  Wood rsum,ed Command on November 20, 1862 and fought in the Army of Tennessee campaigns during the rest of 1862 and into 1863.  He fought at Stones River, Tullahoma and Chickamauga.  He resigned his commission on October 17, 1863 snd resumed his law practice following his resignation from the Confederate Army, and was pardoned by the U.S. Government after the war on November 4, 1865. He then served again in the Alabama Legislature, and was a professor of law at the University of Alabama from 1889 to 1890.[2]

Wood also was the attorney for the Alabama Great Southern Railway from its beginnings in 1877 until his death. In early in 1891 at the age of 67, Wood died  On July 26, 1891and was buried in Evergreen Cemetery in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.